As a parent, one of your many responsibilities is making sure your child is hearing their best at Austin schools. To do this, you must know how to care for their hearing aids. We provide some tips below.
Here are some basic care and maintenance instructions:
- Hearing aids are usually water-resistant, but not waterproof. Don’t store them in damp environments like the bathroom.
- If the hearing aids are exposed to humidity or moisture, put them in a hearing aid dehumidifier.
- At night, store the hearing aids in their case with the battery doors open to allow moisture to evaporate and to maximize the battery life.
- Remove the hearing aids before applying sprays, lotions or liquids, like hair spray, sunscreen, insect repellent and eardrops.
- Keep the hearing aids away from pets and small children.
Daily Listening Checks
You should also perform daily listening checks to ensure your child’s hearing aids are working properly. To do this:
- Check the hearing aid, earmold and tubing for cracks, moisture and wax.
- Check the battery using a battery tester. Touch the positive end of the battery to the positive point on the tester, then touch the negative end of the battery to the negative end of the tester. The tester will indicate whether or not the battery should be replaced.
- Check the sound using a listening scope. Place the earmold into the bell end and the other end in your ear. Listen to the sounds around you, then say aloud the Ling Six Sounds (ah, ee, oo, mm, sh, ss). The sounds should be clear.
If the hearing aids aren’t working properly, consult this troubleshooting list:
- If the hearing aid isn’t making sounds, make sure the battery door is closed, check the earmold and tubing for blockages, check the ear hook for damage or change the battery.
- If the hearing aid volume is weak, check for a blockage or tear in the tubing, check the ear hook for damage or change the battery.
- If sound cuts in and out, check the battery compartment for dirt or damage, check the earmold and tubing for blockage or moisture or change the battery.
- If the sound is distorted, check the battery compartment for dirt or damage, check the ear hook for damage or change the battery.
- If the Ling Six Sounds are unclear, check the battery compartment for dirt or damage, check the earmold and tubing for blockage, check the ear hook for damage or change the battery.
For more information on the benefits of hearing aids or to schedule an appointment, call Austin Auditory Specialists today.